By order of the Louisiana Real Estate Commission (LREC), beginning January 1, 2012, all applicants for a real estate license must provide a criminal background history, as part of the initial application process.
To ensure that this information is received in a standard, consistent format, with a level of quality that adequately meets this requirement, the LREC has contracted with Sterling Global Background Checks to conduct criminal background history checks on each initial license applicant.
Note that obtaining your criminal background history information is only a part of the application process, and completion of this requirement is not to be performed, nor will it be accepted by the LREC, in lieu of submitting an initial application form. See the following links for additional information about the application process and the forms required to complete it.
GETTING STARTED WITH STERLING GLOBAL BACKGROUND CHECKS
- Each individual must set up an online account with Sterling Global Background Checks through the contractor web site.
- Log on to the internet web address by clicking here
(If you are having trouble signing in, etc, call 1-888-889-5248 to contact Sterling Global Background Checks about your account or click here to view additional contact options.
- Skip past the login and password fields. Click on "I am a New User." Follow the prompts from there.
- You will know that you have completed the process when prompted to remit payment for your criminal background history.
- Payments made to Sterling Global Background Checks are separate and apart from any initial application fees paid to the LREC.
- A signed written release to the information contained in your criminal background history is not required.
- Establishing a Sterling Global Background Checks account and ordering your criminal background history serves as consent for the information contained therein to be released to the LREC.
- Applicants whose criminal background history contains arrest/conviction information, or similar negative results, maintain the right to appear before the LREC to request authorization to sit for the real estate licensing examination; however, they are encouraged to contact the LREC prior to beginning the application process.
AFTER MY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND HISTORY IS ORDERED
- If you want to receive a copy of your criminal background history, contact Sterling Global. The LREC does not provide copies of background checks.
- Do not send your criminal background history to the LREC unless requested to do so.
- Remember that ordering your criminal background history is only part of the initial application process. If you have not already done so, don't forget to submit the initial application form, and any other required documentation, to the LREC.
- A license must be issued within 120 days of the background check results or the background check will be considered expired.
Sterling Global Background Checks cannot answer questions about the initial application or licensing process. Contact the LREC Education and Licensing Department for questions. Call 225-925-1923 or 800-821-4529.
The LREC cannot answer questions about or provide copies of an applicant's background check. Contact Sterling Global for questions regarding your background check. Call 1-888-889-5248 Ext. 6428 or email Amanda.Nemeth@Sterlingts.com.